January offers a fresh promise of new beginnings. For me, it means I can turn my brain off for a few days from the many things, small and large, that require attention, and focus on day dreaming and hibernating. Here are my lifestyle changes that I want to make in 2017:
- Get off of plastic. There is no need to buy bottled water if you have a filtered water bottle. Problem is, I am notorious for losing mine. It's a terrible waste environmentally and financially to buy bottled water, especially when you travel constantly. This also means using less plastic, particularly in the kitchen. It'd be great to get cloth bags, or just reuse the same plastic bag to buy bulk items at the grocery store, and store my dried foods in glass jars. I have a handful of cloth grocery bags that I'm in the process of remembering to take with me to the grocery. It's about 50% right now... ok, maybe 30-40%, but I'm working at it. I also bought bamboo kitchen utensils, which are relatively inexpensive and environmentally friendly.
- Finish tasks- Oftentimes I start tasks, and then peter out a little past half-way. I tell myself I'll finish it later.... and then I do sometimes, but usually not. Yeah, I'm looking at you, bathroom and kitchen floor.
- Respond quicker- Both professionally and personally.
- Consistency- this should really be at the top of my list, because it's one of the most important things to me. You can't accomplish things at a high level without consistency. Jerry Seinfeld says it, your teachers say it, your mom says it- they all have different ways of saying it of course, but the idea is that you need consistency in your life.
- Unplug for realzies- I've stopped taking my phone when I run out for short errands. Gotta fight the technology addiction. Thoughtful using is my focus.
- Learn to articulate my feelings and opinions in a constructive way, and to be the person that my future dog thinks I am.
- Get a dog.
This is what I have so far.